Tuesday, July 10, 2007

 

MY AFFLICTION

Thought I'd let my doctor check me

Cause I didn't feel quite right. . .

All those aches and pains annoyed me

And I couldn't sleep at night.

He could find no real disorder

But he wouldn't let it rest

What with Medicare and Blue Cross,

We would do a couple tests.

To the hospital he sent me

Though I didn't feel that bad,

He arranged for them to give me

Every test that could be had.

I was fluoroscoped and cystoscoped,

My aging frame displayed

Stripped, on an ice cold table,

While my gizzards were x-rayed.

I was checked for worms and parasites,

For fungus and the crud,

While they pierced me with long needles

Taking samples of my blood.

Doctors came to check me over,

Probed and pushed and poked around,

And to make sure I was living

They then wired me for sound.

They have finally concluded

(Their results have filled a page)

What I have will someday kill me;

My affliction is OLD AGE.

Author Unknown

Dear Ones,

I don't have medicare yet, but I thought this verse was appropriate as surely as we live we will all get old and die one day.

The 4th of July I sat down and went through all my Dad’s important papers for the meeting my sisters and I had with his lawyer the following day . I really disliked that job. Then if that wasn’t bad enough, I had to make a list of all the questions I need to ask.

We now have a house to sell along with all it’s contents, but before we can do that, we have to go through everything and make sure to remove all the personal items. Years of accumulated memories will be gone over again and again I know all this is going to be difficult to say the least. It is a task that will not be over for awhile yet.

The two important things I did learn were that you are as powerful and strong as you allow yourself to be, and that the most difficult part of any endeavor is taking the first step, making the first decision.

Robyn Davidson

Since I’m working full time, my sisters are doing a lot of the work. I spent this past Sunday afternoon there at Dad’s but had to quit so I could get home and ready for a new work week once more.

I hope to be able to take some extra days off so I can be of more help, but this is also our busiest season at work and if I do take off, I’ll really be putting a load on myself at work too.

When we long for life without difficulties, remind us that oaks grow strong in contrary winds and diamonds are made under pressure.

Peter Marshall

As I’m getting older the things I do have slowed down considerably, but we just have to make the most of what we have. Age does have benefits but sometimes they don’t out way the energy we had when we were younger..

We have the guidance of memory that often routes us around trouble. We are coming to terms with our limits, and mainly celebrate what we can do.

We like ourselves more than we expected. We are getting better at trusting our own tastes and preferences. We appreciate the free dom to indulge in our interests, new and old. And a grateful heart lets us take pleasure where we find it.

Words truly written from from my heart to yours,

Pam

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I understand the difficulty Pam of this job,I have been there and had it to do when I lost my Dear Mother.I think it is the worst job I have had ito do my lifetime.I hope you can find the energy and strength to see all this through as working full time also must be very hard on you.It's good you have sisters to help.I loved the verse and it realy made me laugh.Have a lovely Wednesday if possible.Take care God Bless KATH
astoriasand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES

Anonymous said...

This is such a daunting task ,And like Kath says a very hard one ,you are in my thoughts ..love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

You are so lucky to have your sisters to help you.  My husband faces a similar situation, although his mother is still living, she is in an assisted living facility because of her Alzheimer's disease, and we are trying to clean her house out so that he can sell it.  He was not fortunate enough to have any siblings so all this falls to him and all the decisions good or bad.  Fortunately my husband had the foresight to get all her legal affairs in order years ago.  Take care -- prayers for your and yours. Phyllis