Wednesday, July 4, 2007

I'm now the OLDER generation

Every 24 hours we grow a day older. With age, time seems to us to fly faster; one day, summer begins, and the next day (it seems), school is back in session.

I’m 63 and just lost both my parents in the past year and a half and as a result I find I’m the oldest member of my immediate family. This milestone in my life is going to be one that’s entirely new to me and I’m certain to have a few twists and turns along the way.

This journal will be the story of those events as I journey through the NEXT 20 YEARS.

Don't you think that by the time you're 60 or so, it's time to kiss any vanity we may have good-bye?

One of the few perks of old age is not having to worry about what people think about you, your looks or your actions. We can enjoy life. We are often playful and like to laugh.

We are starting to move beyond the need to look cool. This leads to all kinds of fun, at unexpected moments

When we hit a bump, we are sometimes bemused at the ridiculousness of life. We've had enough disenchantment for a lifetime. We're willing to be enchanted again

Let's face it, getting old is tough enough. Pretending we're something we're not makes aging even harder. By our age, hopefully we've found the wisdom to know who we truly are.

Aging is a serious business and it's not for the faint hearted. However, It is inevitable. It is something we all do. And, if we are to do it gracefully, then we have to do more than sit around and talk about it

Sometimes it is difficult to do but I like to think about the famous quote; "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive"- Elbert Hubbard, 1856-1915.

Maturity is the ability to do a job whether or not you are supervised, to carry money without spending it and to bear an injustice without wanting to get even.

Ann Flanders

And finally, I can’t forget to be thankful for my many blessings.

I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. —Psalm 139:14

I hope you will join me on the journey though the NEXT 20 YEARS...it's going to be a good one!

Words truly written from my heart to yours,

Pam (other wise known as MA)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Pam!  There's definitely a certain freedom to getting older.  Love your comments and quotes!  Linda

Anonymous said...

How right you are.  Don't take life too seriously, don't bear grudges, lifes too short, don't look in the mirror, what you can't see won't hurt you.
Looking forward to what you have to say in this journal as i am someone going into the last quarter of my life.
Jenny <><

Anonymous said...

I say Amen!  I truly agree with everything you said.  Getting ready to retire has
made me reflect on many things in the past and in the future.  I realize now what is important and what can just be let go.  There are some things that are good about aging.  I'm going to try my hardest to enjoy the next 20 years, I'll be right there along side you.  Joni

Anonymous said...

I am certainly going to join you.I loved this first post and I am looking forawrd to your journey very much indeed,how lovely it was to learn your name this morning too.Have a lovely day PAM.Thankyou for inviting me to travel the next few twists and turns.Take Care God Bless KATH
astoriasand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES

Anonymous said...

Congrats on starting your new journal.  I am happy to make the trip with you.  Phyllis

Anonymous said...

You are so right here Pam (lovely to have a name for you lol)thinking about it Im the oldest meber of my family too (aprt fron cousins that is )..love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so going to enjoy this journal!  It's wonderful to have something that really speaks to where I am.  I'm sure we can help each other over the expected and unexpected bumps of "mature living".

Anonymous said...

I'm only 42 and sometimes I feel as though I've lived a lifetime already. I have to say I truly like who I am, I like growing older. After the life I've had, it seems serenity, peace and acceptance are what lies ahead. Who could help not wanting those things.......I throughly enjoyed reading this! (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

This journal is a great idea! I`m 46 years old and will gladly listen to your wisdom.   :)     I love your positive attitude and I know how much you rely on the Lord to see you through each day. I`m glad you told us your name - lol.
HUgs
Pen

Anonymous said...

Oh I think I am going to like this one as I am now 61 and can certainly identify with many of the things you have mentioned. I lost both my parents as well and find myself the oldest one in the family and it does feel a bit daunting I must admit. Does it mean that I am the next one to go? Chronologically, yes, but I am nowhere near ready yet. Now I have my brother and sisters looking up to me as the family matriarch. Not a time of life that you can ever really be prepared for, you just have to live it when it comes. I sure hope that I have found the wisdome to know who I truly am cause to tell you the truth, I am much too tired to go looking for whoever I might be....lol. Good luck with your new journal. I am sure it will be a delightful "read".

Anonymous said...

I know I'm only 43 but I'm going to enjoy your new journal... you're so smart, lol...
Linda :)

Anonymous said...

Aha!  I have found your new journal...by reading down the entries of the other one.  And I didn't know your name was Pam!  I think it's special now to know you by your name.  I like Ma too though.  "Onya Ma" - I will never forget those words on your signature though! LOL
Have a good Sunday.
Sonya